Alternatives to timber
Australia’s love affair with wood doesn’t stop at furniture or decking. We have seen a big increase in wooden materials being used within the design for all kinds of signage, both internal and external.
While there is nothing better than the warm feel you get from seeing a timber sign, maintenance needs to be taken into consideration. Wood that is exposed to the weather is prone to weathering and fading if it is not maintained properly. This often means an oil will need to be applied every 6 to 12 months. It is quick to see that while timber may be an attractive option , after hearing about the upkeep required, the client often asks for this to be changed to something far more economical and maintenance friendly.
Since the 1990’s, timber composite materials have started to emerge as fantastic alternatives to traditional wood products. At Kingman we have worked with various composite materials that provide the right look but with all the benefits for using a composite material.
These advantages are:
- Generally there is no need to stain, sand or paint the material
- Often they are formulated to be fade, scratch and stain resistant
- Often warranties start at 10 years
- Some brands are made partially from recycled materials which makes them an environmentally friendly product
- Some brands can be engraved just like real wood
- Often available in cladding, large products with end caps
Whilst the cost for a composite is normally higher than traditional wood at the time of purchase, the long lifespan of this material and low maintenance often makes it more economical in the long run.
So, next time you want to use a composite wood talk to the team at Kingman and how we can offer our advice on the latest in composite wood products